Saturday 17 September 2011

A Timeless Town

Luang Probang is the most beautiful of South East Asian town's, one of the best looking places I've ever set eyes upon. It is undoubtedly tourist centric but the local council or assembly, or who ever it is that runs this place, appear to have limited the effect of flocking holiday-makers upon the regions aesthetic and cultural disposition.

The street's are quaint and peaceful. The colonial French influence is prevalent in the architecture and brick work. Tall, wooden windows sit elegantly on bespoke guesthouses; no two look the same. I get talking to a local shop owner who informs me that signs placed outside shops and advertising hoards are strictly outlawed here in order to keep the pristine style of the town in tact. How wonderful.

I find myself in staying during low season, which is quite favorable. It's not so busy but then this place just wouldn't be quite right all crowded. Because of the quietness I have to endure increased harassment from Tuk Tuk Drivers and Opium sellers but its not a major problem. I really do need to stop befriending street kids selling bracelets though. They follow me around day and night now, whenever they see me, asking for coca-cola or cash. I'm worried observers think I'm a pedophile.

Although this place is famed for its timeless traditions and authentic Oriental culture and scenery, there's plenty to do for an adventuring backpacker like myself. Most places close at eleven in keeping with communist law but there are a couple of exceptions. There is a strange discotheque which stays open til 12.30pm where locals and tourists party side by side. I went there with a guy from Bangkok the other night who knew the words to every song. He danced like a nut for hours. After the disco it's off to the bowling alley which oddly closes at 3pm. Here it's pretty easy to while away the hours rolling and drinking. The Dude and Walter would be in heaven.

In Luang Probang I find myself on my own for the first time since my initial arrival in Bangkok. My travel buddy of three weeks Tripp departed in the early hours of this morning. I'm going to miss that Crazy American Bastard. However the tranquil lay of this land lends itself to a lone wanderer. I'm sure I wont be alone for long. So today I'll hire a bike and take in more of the landscape, and view the monks who rise early for prayer at 5am, lining the Mekong River. A new phase begins in my journey, let the butterflies saunter.

No comments: